Priya Aggarwal-Shah is the Founder and Director of BAME in Property, an organisation to help bring more ethnic diversity in the built environment sector.
Launched in 2018 as a networking group online, Priya has since organised networking events with leading CRE companies for 100s of property professionals, built a social media following to 11,000 and engaged in numerous campaigns, including #MyNameIs, South Asian Heritage Month and International Women’s Day.
In 2020, in response to the pandemic and the changing nature of the industry, Priya evolved BAME in Property into a company to offer a range of services, including workshops, consultancy, a Jobs Board and membership packages. Some of BAME in Property's clients include Lendlease, Trident Building Consultancy, Thirteen Housing Group, Forsters LLP, the GLA and many more.
Prior to running BAME in Property full-time, Priya worked as a stakeholder and community engagement consultant in the built environment for eight years, supporting planning applications and comms strategies for a range of developers and energy companies. She has used her experience in EDI to ensure diverse community engagement strategies.
Priya regularly speaks on panel events about diversity, community engagement and urbanism. She is also a commentator in the media on EDI topics, having spoken on BBC London and BBC Asian Network and featured in Inside Housing, Asian Voice, EG, Bisnow and more.
She is particularly interested in the built environment in developing countries and brings experiences from her travels to the professional environment. She believes diversity in thought comes from the best working practices around the world.
In late 2018, Priya undertook research in South Africa, where she explored the housing struggles faced by the Indian population in Kwa-Zulu Natal and how the role of religion and culture has helped them overcome these. She published her research paper for the property industry in February 2019 and further shared her findings for the built environment sector, during a live audience interview with Editor of EG in May 2019.
Priya sits on the following boards:
- EG D&I Content Advisory Board
- London Property Alliance D&I Board
- LandAid Fundraising Committee
Priya has received the following accolades for her work:
- RTPI Planner Magazine's Women of Influence (2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021)
- September 2018, finalist for Estate Gazette's Rising Star Award
- September 2019, listed as one of Property Week's RESI Trailblazers for shaking up the UK residential sector with BAME in Property - October 2020, finalist for the Women of Future Award, Real Estate, Infrastructure and Construction category
- October 2020, listed as one of TechRound's top 50 under 50 BAME Entrepreneurs (ranked 29).
- June 2021, listed as one of PR Week’s 30 under 30.